Saturday 16 May 2015

Memory Lane

Welcome to the weekend...a long one for us here in Canada.

This a.m. I checked out the Inspiration Challenge at Splitcoast....it was a wonderful trip down 'memory lane'.  Today, we are being inspired by a Barbie Doll Pinterest Board.  Amazing vintage Barbies.  I played with them all the time when I was a child.   It reminded me of my Mom and how she would make little hats for our Barbies using the paper tops of the glass milk bottles (I just really dated myself!).

Here is the gorgeous Barbie that inspired my card:


I began by heat embossing the feather stamp from Technique Junkies with white powder.  
Then, I sprinkled Brusho (paint medium) over the embossing and sprayed with water.That's when the magic happens and the rich, beautiful colours emerge.  I cut the panel for interest and added the sentiment with pop dots.

I am adding my card to these challenges:

Freshly Made Sketch- SKETCH #186



Have a great weekend and thanks!

Supplies:  stamps- Technique Junkie, Daisy Bucket/ Brusho/ mini mister/ wh Embossing powder/ Versamark/ bl Memento ink/ Spellbinder circle die






23 comments:

Pamellia said...

Wow, gorgeous Karen! I love the feathers done in white, a gorgeous contrast to the vibrant rainbow of colours! Stunning! hugs :)

stampinganja said...

Stunning card! Love visiting your blog, Happy Victoria Day weekend, Anja

Deepti said...

This is awesome :)

Unknown said...

A great take on the sketch, just love your background. Karen x

Lin said...

WOW, what a stunner, Karen! Just love the colors you put together (thanks, Barbie!) for this beauty!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Karen, this is gorgeous! The colors are amazing, and I love this image!! And what a great inspiration photo! I remember Barbie dolls too, but I also remember MOST that I used to make Barbie doll clothes for my sisters - now let me tell you how hard that was!! LOL! Those little dresses are so bitty, and I did them with love for my sisters but vowed I would NEVER, EVER make any more of those for anyone...a daughter, granddaughter...no one! LOL! Love your card, as always, sweet friend, and enjoy gardening! Hugs!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Oh, my! What a beauty this is. Love the feathers you embossed before you added the rich colors. And, I think you are pretty young as I did not play with Barbies but my kids did. Oh, dear, I dated myself too! LOL

Anneke said...

This looks gorgeous. There is so much going on.
Beautiful colors. Very inspiring Anneke

Janine said...

Love it - what colours of brusho did you use? I need a lovely green like that!

Jen Mitchell said...

Wow! This is amazing! The colors are so vibrant! Thanks for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wonderful card Karen, thanks so much for sharing and popping over, Shaz in Oz.x.

{Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

VanessaB said...

so gorgeous!

Dotty Jo said...

S.T.U.N.N.E.R! Jo x

Bobby said...

That technique really makes the "eyes" of the feathers stand out, Karen. Beautiful card!! And then there's that trip down memory lane. I had forgotten all about those paper caps on bottles. I do remember the milkman delivering them, though. We knew him so well he just came in and put them in the refrigerator.

Sue D. said...

Wow - this is a gorgeous card with great colours. I also like that you used peacock feathers as the subject.

Sue D. said...

Wow - this is a gorgeous card with great colours. I also like that you used peacock feathers as the subject.

Rebecca Hoy said...

Very clever to use feathers to link with the 'bird" code word. Thanks for playing along with is at ATCAS this week, Rebecca x

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh this is such a lovely card! I love your combination of stamps and colours! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

Deepti said...

And forgot to say thank you for sharing with ATCAS :)

Jaydee said...

Amazing, Karen! the colours are gorgeous with the white embossing powder. So glad you joined us at Addicted to CAS this week
Jaydee

Unknown said...

Positively gorgeous. That cut of the card layer was brilliant!

Unknown said...

Positively gorgeous. That cut of the card layer was brilliant!

Lisa :) said...

Such a pretty card!!! I am always inspired by Barbie I adored her growing up. Still do!